There's not been much progress, but I have spent many a happy hour sorting out the wiring loom.
The car's original loom was included when I bought it. Looked like this:
There were various hacks and bodges, with the fuse panel area being particularly hideous. The original fuse banks had been replaced with blade fuses, in a slightly agricultural style:
This might not be everyone's idea of fun, but I've found it immensely satisfying to faff about very slowly at my workbench sorting it all out.
The front loom is now done, including a bench test with switches, headlights, indicators, wiper motor, heater fan etc attached.